Analysis brought to you by the experts at FC&S Online, the unquestioned authority on insurance coverage interpretation and analysis for the P&C industry. To find out more — or to have YOUR coverage question answered — visit the National Underwriter website, or contact the editors via Twitter: @FCSbulletins.

Question: We have a water damage claim on a hazard policy caused by a sewer back-up due to excessive flooding in the area.

The homeowner's policy includes the following language:

"Exception to C.(6): Unless the loss is otherwise excluded, we cover loss to property covered under Coverage A or B resulting from an accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within a: (1) drain, or water, steam or sewer pipe, of the "residence premises"….

In the policy, water is defined as "flood, surface water, waves, including tidal wave and tsunami, tides, tidal water, overflow of any body of water, or spray from any of these, all whether or not driven by wind, including storm surge" … (along with) water that:

  1. Backs up through sewers or drains; or
  2. Overflows or is otherwise discharged from a sump, sump pump or related equipment;     

In your opinion, is the damage from the sewer water covered?

— Texas Subscriber

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free PropertyCasualty360 Digital Reader

  • All news coverage, best practices, and in-depth analysis.
  • Educational webcasts, resources from industry leaders, and informative newsletters.
  • Other award-winning websites including and

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.