Editor's note: This article first appeared at NerdWallet.com. 

If you buy a home in a flood-prone area, you probably need to find flood insurance.

Standard homeowners insurance covers damage from rain that hits a home before reaching the ground, such as if a tree limb falls on a roof, creating a hole, or if water enters through a blown-out window or door. Damage from flooding, which occurs when water rises up outside the home, will only be covered if you have flood insurance.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free PropertyCasualty360 Digital Reader

  • All PropertyCasualty360.com news coverage, best practices, and in-depth analysis.
  • Educational webcasts, resources from industry leaders, and informative newsletters.
  • Other award-winning websites including BenefitsPRO.com and ThinkAdvisor.com.

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.