April was National Car Care month and California Low Cost Auto encourages drivers to conduct essential vehicle maintenance to prepare for the spring driving season.
- Spring Cleaning: The holidays can lead to a buildup of clutter in your car. Unloading your car removes unnecessary weight and improves gas mileage. Winter wear and tear will also affect the outside of your vehicle. Salt and dirt will collect on the body of your car causing scratches and rust. Selecting additional options at a car wash or paying special attention to the undercarriage will help eliminate these issues.
- Prepare for Spring Showers: April showers bring May flowers so check your windshield wipers. Look for cracks or poor contact on your car’s windshield. If the wiper blades skip, streak, split or squeak, they should be replaced immediately. Proper working wipers are crucial during spring downpours for the safety of you and your passengers.
- Measure Tire Pressure: Warm temperatures increase tire pressure so you should measure the pressure regularly as the temperature rises. Check to see if all tires, including the spare, are inflated properly and balanced. The inside of the car door lists the correct tire pressure for the make and model of your vehicle. Keeping tires at the optimal pressure helps the tires last longer, saves on fuel and enhances the handling of your vehicle.
- Suspension and Wheel Alignment: Hazards such as cracks and deep potholes in the roadways can compromise shocks and wheel alignment. This spring have a certified mechanic inspect your suspension and wheel alignment to ensure a smooth, safe ride.
- Inspect Brake System: The spring season can unleash cloudbursts of rain and strong brakes are vital for safety on wet roads. You should inspect the entire brake system including lines, hoses, parking brake and brake fluid.
- Batteries, Plugs and Wires, Oh my!: Forget to turn off your car lights? Forgetfulness combined with temperature changes can stress electrical components and weaken performance. Test and replace old batteries, plugs and wires, especially if they are more than three years old.
Comprehensive spring maintenance on a vehicle helps improve safety, but does not eliminate all driving dangers. Auto insurance is the best way to prepare for potential hazards. Accidents happen and car insurance is the law. California’s Low Cost Auto Insurance is a state-sponsored program that offers affordable insurance for residents who qualify. In March, more than 1,000 Californians signed up for the program, helping decrease the number of uninsured motorists on the road. See if you qualify for low cost automobile insurance on mylowcostauto.com.