An illustration of a tall office building with illustrated dollar signs and upward-pointing arrows in front of it. (Credit: nespix/Adobe Stock)

When a resident placed a burned candle in their trash can and then left the apartment it sparked a fire that completely destroyed the unit. Even worse, four other nearby units suffered fire, smoke and water damage.

Marc Gordon, principal and CFO of Investors Management Group, was left with a $400,000 bill for damage plus loss of rents. So naturally he contacted his insurance company.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free
PropertyCasualty360 Digital Reader.


  • All news coverage, best practices, and in-depth analysis.
  • Educational webcasts, resources from industry leaders, and informative newsletters.
  • Other award-winning websites including and

Already have an account?


© 2023 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.



Join PropertyCasualty360

Don’t miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed decisions for your P&C insurance business. Join now!

  • Unlimited access to - your roadmap to thriving in a disrupted environment
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including, and
  • Exclusive discounts on PropertyCasualty360, National Underwriter, Claims and ALM events

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join PropertyCasualty360

Copyright © 2023 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.