A person holds a phone in their hand, texting while they drive. How can those who find themselves in the passenger seat next to a texting driver put a stop to their risky behavior? By using their voice. (Credit: perfectlab/Adobe Stock)

The dangers of texting and driving have been drilled into the heads of drivers (and future drivers, alike) for years, and for good reason. In 2021 alone, despite the awareness that has been raised about the issue, 3,522 people lost their lives because of a distracted driver, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA).

Recently, Erie Insurance performed a survey of over 2,000 adults in the United States to examine how society as a whole views texting and driving, and 73% of people said they find the behavior socially unacceptable. Of course, that leaves 27% who believe texting while driving is socially acceptable.

Brittney Meredith-Miller

Brittney Meredith-Miller is assistant editor of PropertyCasualty360.com. She can be reached at [email protected]

More from this author



Join PropertyCasualty360

Don’t miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed decisions for your P&C insurance business. Join PropertyCasualty360.com now!

  • Unlimited access to PropertyCasualty360.com - your roadmap to thriving in a disrupted environment
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including BenefitsPRO.com, ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com
  • Exclusive discounts on PropertyCasualty360, National Underwriter, Claims and ALM events

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join PropertyCasualty360

Copyright © 2023 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.