Hand holding smartphone for select insurance technology Any person or entity selling, soliciting or negotiating insurance must be licensed as an insurance producer (“producer” being a general term for either an agent or broker) or qualify for an exemption from such licensing requirements.(Credit: Oulaphone/stock.adobe.com)

Embedded insurance products are often closely integrated with a company’s website to allow its customers to seamlessly purchase insurance online while they are purchasing other goods or services. However, companies considering this “embedded insurance” model must confront the complicated, and sometimes confusing, world of the U.S.’s state-based insurance regulations.

As we’ve previously written here, companies seeking to enter into the highly-regulated insurance space should be familiar with certain key regulatory issues. This article provides an overview into the perhaps the most fundamental regulatory issue that is essential to understand before launching an embedded insurance offering: licensing.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free
PropertyCasualty360 Digital Reader.


  • All PropertyCasualty360.com news coverage, best practices, and in-depth analysis.
  • Educational webcasts, resources from industry leaders, and informative newsletters.
  • Other award-winning websites including BenefitsPRO.com and ThinkAdvisor.com.

Already have an account?



Join PropertyCasualty360

Don’t miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed decisions for your P&C insurance business. Join PropertyCasualty360.com now!

  • Unlimited access to PropertyCasualty360.com - your roadmap to thriving in a disrupted environment
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including BenefitsPRO.com, ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com
  • Exclusive discounts on PropertyCasualty360, National Underwriter, Claims and ALM events

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join PropertyCasualty360

Copyright © 2022 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.