The Hartford Financial Services Group Inc. has expanded its portfolio of insurance products and services for healthcare providers with tailored coverage designed specifically for healthcare facilities.
The Hartford has added several healthcare-specific coverage options to its Property Choice policy, which is designed for midsize businesses:
- Coverage for patient or resident emergency evacuation when the facility is threatened by a covered cause of loss
- Coverage for clean-up of a contaminated building and equipment in the event of a disease outbreak
- Decontamination expense coverage, including testing, clean-up, or removal of pollutants
- Reimbursement for drugs, medical devices or supplies that are condemned or required to be withheld from the market by a government authority
- Coverage for loss or damage of perishable stock due to a loss of power
For smaller outpatient practices, The Hartford offers several healthcare-specific coverage options as part of its Spectrum Business Owner’s Policy. These include:
- Optional daily limits for business income, which are designed to make it easier for a provider to recover income from canceled patient appointments due to a covered loss
- Spoilage coverage for perishable medicines and medical supplies (including pharmaceutical samples)
- Higher optional limits for reimbursement of legal expenses for court or review boards
The Hartford also recently enhanced its workers’ compensation claim practice for needle stick injuries. The Hartford provides reimbursement for testing of the source patient in addition to the injured employee, which helps to identify potential illnesses and begin appropriate treatment more quickly.
The Hartford provides training resources for healthcare facility risk managers, including loss control webinars that address such issues as patient lifting, the aging workforce, business continuity planning, healthcare fleet management and ergonomics.