The claimant was a 48-year-old man who was severely injured in 1982 in a fall while working on a construction job.
Deemed quadriplegic with C1 to C4 fractures, he has no use of his legs and minimal use of his arms, and uses a power chair. He has had chronic wounds for the past 15 years and has been treated at numerous clinics. As his health deteriorated, he has spent more time in bed, and turning him is an issue due to his weight.
The bedridden claimant was a chronic smoker, as were the other four adults living in the house. Second-hand smoke contaminates equipment just like it does the human body. The poisons and chemicals in the smoke can damage any equipment, but air mattresses are especially vulnerable.
A vacuum pump pulls air from the room and holds it inside the mattress until the air gently bleeds out through tiny holes in tube-like chambers. In this case, the pump was sucking in and retaining second-hand smoke.
The air that was managing to trickle out was noxious, second-hand smoke, comprised of 4,000 chemicals—at least 200 known poisons—and many carcinogens. The claimant’s skin was trying to expel these toxins, but it was a tough fight because of the constant exposure to poisons.
Fortunately, in this case the injured employee came to understand how second-hand smoke was damaging his mattress and committed to stop smoking. Of course, all the other people in the house needed to stop smoking around the bed, too.
The dangers of smoking and second-hand smoke are well known. Wounds, fractures and back fusions take longer to heal, physical therapy is more difficult, and smokers are susceptible to upper respiratory infections.