Net written premiums for The Hanover Insurance Group were up 17 percent during the 2010 third quarter compared with the prior year period due to its implementation of a deal announced late last year with OneBeacon Insurance Group.
Hanover said its net income for the third quarter was $52.3 million compared to $49.7 million during the same quarter a year ago.
Frederick H. Eppinger, chief executive officer, said the company's strategic plan is working. He said Hanover's focus on "industry-focused niches and specialty line, geared toward Main Street business, have allowed [Hanover] to gain shelf space with winning agents without engaging in aggressive pricing behavior."
Last December OneBeacon sold the renewal rights to its non-specialty commercial lines business to Hanover. The transaction included small commercial accounts and the non-specialty portion of the middle-market business, beginning with a Jan. 1, 2010 effective date.
Third quarter commercial lines income was $35.1 million compared to $38.7 million last year during the same time as net premiums written was up 42.2 percent to $415.3 million.
Income in Hanover's personal lines business was up to $43 million in the third quarter compared to $27.4 million for the 2009 third quarter.
There was a 2.1 percent decline in net premiums written to $388.4 million in personal lines, driven by risk exposure reductions in Louisiana, Massachusetts and Michigan, Hanover said. The company closed two subsidiaries in Louisiana and shifted some policies to another insurer.
© Arc, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to TMSalesOperations@arc-network.com. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.