NU Online News Service, Feb.9, 3:14 p.m. EST

Chartis Insurance in New York said it had provided a portion of the insurance coverage on the under-construction Kleen Energy power plant that exploded Sunday in Middletown, Conn.

Marie Ali, a spokesperson for Chartis, said the company was providing no other details on its involvement.

Guy Carpenter cited published reports that Travelers, AEGIS and Scor were also involved in the coverage and 40 percent of the claim could go to the London market.

Officials at the state and local level said yesterday that the blast would be investigated for criminal negligence.

Risk Management Solutions in Newark, Calif., noted that the power plant had been under construction since February 2008 and was scheduled to start supplying energy in June 2010.

The force of the blast, which killed at least five workers when gas was being cleared from lines, was so strong that it could be felt 30 miles away.

A large section of the plant was left blackened, with sheets of metal peeling off its sides. The building roof and two smoke stacks remained standing.

NOT FOR REPRINT

© Arc, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to TMSalesOperations@arc-network.com. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.