NU Online News Service, Sept. 2, 4:00 p.m. EDT
The largest of the California wildfires, known as the "Station Fire," has now burnt more than 140,000 acres, destroyed 62 "dwellings" and is 22 percent contained, according to the Insurance Information Network of California.
Pete Moraga, communications specialist with IINC, said the mood among firefighters is more positive now with lower winds and higher humidity aiding in the fight against the Station Fire.
Overall, risk modeler RMS said the multiple fires across California in the last week have destroyed around 200 properties but continue to threaten thousands more.
The IINC noted that officials are reporting 62 "dwellings" destroyed by the Station Fire, but Mr. Moraga said there is some confusion about what the term actually means. He said it could mean homes as well as recreation cabins.
Both IINC and RMS said around 12,000 homes still remain threatened, and IINC said an additional 500 commercial properties and 2,000 other structures are also threatened.
"Evacuations are in place for the community of Acton as the fire is approaching homes in the area," IINC said. "The fire could reach these homes, but crews are working on structure protection where they can."
Mandatory evacuations have been lifted in some areas, including La Canada and Glendale, IINC noted. Communication towers and an observatory located on Mt. Wilson also appear to have been saved as of now, IINC said.
RMS said the Station Fire is still expected to be contained by Sept. 8.
Tomas Girnius, senior scientist at AIR Worldwide, summed up firefighting efforts at the Station Fire: "Last night, aided by low winds and higher humidity, crews launched aggressive strategic attacks against the massive inferno, creating firebreaks and bulldozing fire lines around the perimeter. Early Wednesday morning, officials report that these latest efforts have been successful and that the fire is currently displaying low to moderate intensity. Containment is estimated at 22 percent, up from 5 percent yesterday, and no additional structures have been lost."
He added, "Due to limited access and southwest winds, the fire is expected to continue to progress eastward into the San Gabriel Canyon wilderness. Defensive lines are in place in the Juniper Hills area, but no communities are currently threatened along the eastern perimeter."
A second fire, the "49 Fire" in Placer County, is now 100 percent contained, IINC said, after destroying 60 structures, including homes, outbuildings and businesses.
The "Oak Glen Fire" in San Bernardino County is 75 percent contained, and has damaged one structure while burning 1,012 acres, reported IINC.
California Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner reminded residents who have been evacuated due to the Oak Glen Fire that they may be eligible for reimbursement for additional living expenses due to mandatory evacuations. "Everyone who has been evacuated from their homes due to wildfire should check their insurance policies," Commissioner Poizner said. "Many policies cover additional living expenses that result from mandatory evacuations--including hotel stays and extra food costs."
© Arc, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to TMSalesOperations@arc-network.com. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.