The MEMIC Group’s president and CEO John Leonard has been re-elected by the ACORD board of directors as the 2011 chair. Lawrence Blakeman of MetLife was elected as the board’s vice chair. The announcements were made by ACORD president and CEO Gregory A. Maciag.
Leonard is President and CEO of Maine Employers’ Mutual Insurance Company (MEMIC). He began with MEMIC in 1993, the company’s first year, after a lengthy career with The Travelers, where he led the commercial lines agency marketing and underwriting division. MEMIC customers now account for approximately 65 percent of the commercial workers’ compensation premium in Maine.
He is a former president of the American Association of State Compensation Insurance Funds (AASCIF) and chairman of its executive committee. Leonard is also the current chair of the board of directors for the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI) and is a member of its compensation and nominating/governance committees. Previously, he served as a member of the National Workers’ Compensation Reinsurance Pool board.
Blakeman is senior vice president and CIO in MetLife’s information technology group supporting the recently formed U.S. Business organization. In 2007, he was appointed senior vice president and CIO of Individual Business IT where he led information technology and operations for MetLife’s Individual Business organizations.
In 2008, he assumed the additional responsibility for the Auto & Home organization bringing together all IT support for the retail business under his leadership. In 2006, he took on responsibility for MetLife’s enterprise data management and enterprise architecture functions.
In addition, ACORD added three new directors by membership election: John Kellington, Cincinnati Financial; Robert Kelly, Steadfast Group; and Achim Stegner, Munich Re.
Also announced at that time was the appointment of Monique Hesseling of Zurich as chair of the ACORD standards committee which focuses on the development, maintenance, and enhancements of the ACORD standards. Spero Zacharias, Chubb & Son, was named chair of the ACORD 2020 advisory committee which focuses on the long-range vision of ACORD Standards within the industry and the value proposition to implementers.
The following is a complete listing of the 2011 Board of Directors:
- John Leonard, MEMIC
- Lawrence Blakeman, MetLife
- Gregory A. Maciag, ACORD
- Sal Branca, Chartis
- Andrew G. Cassidy, Council of Independent Agents & Brokers (CIAB)
- Jeremy D. Cooke, Marsh
- David Findley, outside director, immediate past vice chairman
- Andy Fogarty, outside director
- Al Iuppa, Zurich
- Art Jetter, National Association of Independent Life Brokerage Agencies (NAILBA)
- John Kellington, Cincinnati Financial
- Robert Kelly, Steadfast Group
- James Knight, Chubb & Son
- Barbara Koster, Prudential Financial
- Sue Langley, Lloyd’s of London
- Frank Liu, China Life Insurance Company
- Dennis Mahoney, outside director
- Brian O’Connell, The Hartford
- Jim Pedersen, Fireman’s Fund
- William Pieroni, State Farm Insurance
- Keith Savino, National Association of Professional Insurance Agents (PIA)
- Markus Schmid, Swiss Re
- Bob Slocum, Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (IIABA)
- Achim Stegner, Munich Re
- Tim Wright, Willis Group