Preparing for Political Unrest: How to Limit Exposure, Select Coverage, and Recover Quickly
Date: Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Time: 1:00 pm ET | 10:00 am PT
The streets of London and Athens. Cairo, Tripoli, and other capitals across the Middle East and Africa. Thailand, Myanmar, and other nations across Asia. Leadership uncertainty in Venezuela and elsewhere in Latin America. Wherever you, your company, and your clients do business, recent news events remind us how quickly major cities and countries—including those considered stable—can descend into political turmoil that poses risk to overseas employees, interrupts business operations, and causes serious, even debilitating damage to a policyholders’ property and other critical assets. In this very topical educational session, a leading expert in political risk management will discuss what to be concerned about, how to prepare adequately, and what companies can do to quickly get back on their feet after the storm of protests has passed.
This is can’t-miss training for any risk manager operating on a global basis—or for any agent or broker whose clients have an international presence. Attendees to this web seminar event will discuss and explore answers to key questions, including:
- How do you evaluate exposure and understand the culture and implications of operating in particular countries and regions?
- What steps should organizations take now to prepare for such events and limit their exposure?
- What types of political-risk coverage are available – and how do you determine the most suitable options for your organization or clients?
- How can third-party operators idle your business – and what combination of preparedness and business interruption coverage is needed to protect your business?
- What are key elements of supply chain risk, and what should you do not only to ensure adequate insurance cover, but to have back-up plans and alternative suppliers in place when and if the business is impacted?
John T. Lavelle
Deputy Managing Director of Political and Credit Risks
Willis Financial Solutions
John T. Lavelle is a deputy managing director and heads the North American political & credit risk division within Willis Group, the global insurance brokerage and consulting company. Lavelle specializes in providing credit and political risk insurance expertise to financial institutions and large corporations. With 20 years’ experience as a merchant banker, insurance underwriter and broker, Lavelle is uniquely qualified to advise Willis clients on the full range of products available in the political risk and credit insurance industry. He also is the ECA US EximBank specialist for the group.
Principal, JW DeWitt Business Communications
Mr. DeWitt is founder, principal, and senior consultant for JW DeWitt Business Communications in New Salem, Mass. For more than 25 years, he has worked as a business strategist, marketing and communications consultant, and writer specializing in technology, finance and insurance, management, and related areas. A frequent meeting facilitator and event moderator, Mr. DeWitt is a contributing technology editor for Tech Decisions and National Underwriter Property & Casualty magazines.